Saturday, October 24, 2009

Race for the Cure October 24, 2009

Five years ago my Mom, Dad, brother, Bill and I participated in the Race for the Cure. Mom had just been diagnosed with breast cancer in August of 2004. I remember she called me after her doctor's appointment that day in August while I was at lunch. It was during our inservice days before school began and I can remember not being able to talk to her on the phone after she said the words, she had cancer. During the next couple of months, she had her surgery, went through chemo treatments and radiation treatments. During that same time frame I got pregnant, but had a miscarriage 11 weeks into the pregnancy.

What a difference five years makes! Mom has been cancer-free for five years now and doing well!! And Bill and I have two beautiful daughters that bless not only our lives every day but the lives of our families! God is good!

It was a chilly day for the race, but we had a great time participating in this wonderful event. Last time we walked the 5K course, but today we opted for the 1 mile walk because we didn't know how long the girls would make it. They both did great, with the help of the stroller and being carried by Pawpaw.

I am in awe at the number of women, both young and old wearing those pink shirts in the race. As you walk in the crowd of people it's a sobering thought reading the names of the people the race participants put on their shirts honoring the survivors they know or remembering those who lost their lives to breast cancer. I am so thankful that my Mom is one of the survivors and that my daughters (and family) and I were able to celebrate that today during the race.

The crowd lined up for the beginning of the race. Brother Bill is somewhere in there.

Lauren, Mom and Allison sporting their race numbers.

The girls trying to stay warm before the 1 mile walk started.

Ronald MacDonald had the honor of starting the 1 mile run. My girls don't even know who he is. Although they have never eaten at MacDonald's, they have had the soft serve ice cream cones from there. On our way home from the race I said something to the girls about seeing Ronald MacDonald at the beginning of the race and Lauren called him Mr. MacDonald and Allison called him Old MacDonald. Too cute!
Allison, Lauren and Mr. MacDonald

Dad, Allison, Mom, Lauren and I during the walk.

Bill, Lauren and I during the walk.

Allison snuggling with Pawpaw trying to keep warm.

4 comments:

April said...

How wonderful that you all participated in Race for the Cure! I love that the girls went, too. I did not realize you had a miscarriage five years ago. How hard that must have been. I am so thankful for your two beautiful girls, and I'm so thankful that your mom is well today!

Cindy said...

I didn't realize you'd done the walk yesterday...that's awesome! Your mom is amazing!

I LOVED the picture of Allison eyeing Ronald McDonald. That was hilarious! And did you say your kids have NEVER eaten at McDonald's except for ice cream cones???? Wow...that's rare. And good, I'm sure. Sometimes I wish we'd never taken ours there to begin with. Oh well.

Cindy said...

Oops...I mean Lauren eyeing R.M. You know what I mean. :)

Holly Aytes said...

I didn't realize that y'all had participated in the walk either! We had wanted to but couldn't get it all together plus my mom was going to be gone. Next year we are going to though! My mom has been cancer free for 8 yrs and I am so thankful that my girls get to have a relationship with her :) I can't believe your girls haven't had a happy meal....congrats on that one! Wish mine weren't hooked on those happy meals...though they only get them once a month as a treat if they are lucky and they aren't big fans of McDonald, they would rather have chick-fila :)